Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Two things i love

1. Chinese food, specifically hotpot. To that end, I am venturing to a hotpot restaurant on Friday. This might move into the "things I hate" column. Germany has, in general, atrocious Chinese food. It's possible that this will be better, as it comes with vague recommendations from faint acquaintances. However, the only review I can find online gave it one star out of four, claiming that it led to Übelkeit (this could simply mean "queasiness" but could also mean "vomiting").

2. The New Yorker Caption Contest. I go through fits and starts with it. Before I die, I would like to win one. Here is this week's cartoon. My captions are below. If any reader wins this week, I will give him/her a "The Langoliers are Coming" T-shirt.
1. "Now that's one way to get ahead!"
2. "I've heard of headhunters, but this is ridiculous!"
3. "I'm sorry, Krang, I don't know when your suit will be fixed."
4. "I'm going to have to let you go. My old paperweight wasn't so nosy."

5 comments:

  1. the problem is, these are too good (except 3, which maybe i don't get?), and the New Yorker seems to only pick the lame/obvious entries.

    1 and 4 are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You were always someone I looked up to."

    ReplyDelete
  3. For that to work the head has to be talking, right? I think it's the guy in the chair. What about a twist on 1: "OK, I've worked hard and gotten ahead. Now what?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't you submit them? They're funny! I can just imagine the look of pride on your face if you won.

    Isabel, 3 is a Teenage Mutant Ninja (Hero, if you are English - ninjas are too scary for us) Turtles reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never recovered from my ill-fated Jerry McGuire entry.

    ReplyDelete